We have given friends these without telling them the ingredients and they wolf them down and when we tell them the contents they really can’t believe it!
Serves: Makes 10 brownies
Prep time: 30–40 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
– 500g sweet potatoes (about 2 medium sized potatoes)
– 12 medjool dates
– 6 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
– 100g ground almonds
– 2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
– A pinch of salt
– 100g ground oats
– 6 Tablespoons raw cacao powder
For the icing
– 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
– 2 Tablespoons almond butter
– 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
– 2 Tablespoons cacao powder
– Start by pre-heating the oven to 180C (fan), then peel the sweet potatoes. Cut them into chunks and place into a steamer for about 20 minutes, until they become really soft.
– Once they are perfectly soft and beginning to fall apart remove them and add them to a food processor with the pitted dates.
– Put the remaining ingredients into a bowl, before mixing in the sweet potato date combination. Stir well.
– Place into a lined baking dish and cook for about 45-50 minutes, until you can pierce the brownie with a fork and bring it out dry. Remove the tray and allow it to cool for about ten minutes – this is really important as it needs this time to stick together!
– While the brownies are cooking make the icing by simply melting all the ingredients together and stirring well, then place in the freezer for 15 minutes and then the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up a bit.
– Remove the brownies from the tray and leave to cool completely before icing otherwise your icing will melt! Spread the icing on top, cut into squares, dig in and enjoy!
Macros: per brownie