The weather is set fair for the weekend, so some of you might be wheeling out the BBQ for the first time. This is no reason not to continue your healthy way of eating, it just needs a little planning. These chicken and vegetable skewers are perfect for BBQ’s and add colour to your plate rather than the usual standard sausage and burger. Add some fresh mint yogurt to give them a bit of zest and enjoy with a side salad of your choice. Feet up and enjoy the sun.
2 large skinless chicken breasts
½ red pepper
½ red onion
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon chilli powder
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
100 gram fat-free plain yogurt
5-7 mint leaves, finely chopped
lemon quartered and squeezed
You will need some 2 metal skewers (wooden if you don’t have metal)
- Chop the chicken breasts into 4cm chunks. Place in a bowl and sprinkle over the ground coriander, chilli powder, garlic powder and ground cumin. Season with salt and pepper and add a teaspoon olive oil. Mix everything well together in the bowl with your hands, so that the chicken is completely covered, set to one side and wash your hands.
- Slice the courgette and chop the red onion and red pepper into chunky pieces. Again add to a different bowl and drizzle a teaspoon olive oil over the vegetables and season with salt and pepper.
- Now take your skewers (if wooden soak in water for an hour previously) Skewer the chicken and vegetables mixing up the order onto the skewers and grill on the BBQ for 8-10 minutes, turning frequently until cooked through out but not burnt!. or if the weather is not so good, you can cook them in a preheated oven 180°C / 350°F for approximately 20 minutes.
- For the sauce, finely chop the mint leaves and stir it into the yogurt. Add a squeeze of lemon and season to taste.
- Enjoy the kebabs with the mint yogurt and a side salad. Double or triple the quantities if more kebabs are required.
Calories per serving 259 kCal
Macros per serving:
- PROTEIN – 41 grams
- CARBS – 9.4 grams of which sugars 8.3g
- FATS – 6.4 grams of which saturates 1.2g