These tasty home made protein bars are simple to make no real cooking involved just a bit of melting. If you like snickers bars then the chocolate and nut flavour will be a hit.
INGREDIENTS (makes 12 bars)
• 100 grams of smooth peanut butter (we use Meridan 1kg tubs are good value)
• 50ml melted coconut oil ( we use Sainsbury’s own organic)
• 150ml almond milk, unsweetened we use Alpro or Plenish)
• 5 scoops of vanilla protein powder ( we use Optimum nutrition or Myprotein)
• 100 grams ground almonds
For the topping:
• 1 Tablespoon melted coconut oil
• 2 Tablespoons of dark chocolate chips or broken up dark chocolate
• 3 Tablespoons chopped almonds or cashew nuts
1. Mix the melted coconut oil, peanut butter and the almond milk in a medium bowl until a smooth mixture.
2. Now add the scoops protein powder and ground almonds and stir well with a spoon until you have a dough mixture.
3. Line a baking tray aprox size 20cm x 20cm with parchment paper and pour in your dough. Push and flatten with your hands and then level with spatula or back of a spoon, pressing dough into the corners of the tray.
4. Combine your dark chocolate chips or broken chocolate and 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil in a small bowl microwavable bowl. Microwave until melted ( careful not to burn), then stir well to combine to a smooth consistency. Pour over the dough and spread until all dough is coated evenly with chocolate.
5. Sprinkle chopped almonds or cashews over the top of chocolate.
6. Freeze for 20 minutes or refrigerate for 1 hour so that the dough becomes solid.
7. Lift out of the tray with the parchment paper and place on a cutting board.
8. Cut into 12 even bars with a sharp knife, if the dough is still a little sticky to separate put back in freezer for an hour or so then break up along your cuts put into a tub and store in the fridge. Enjoy chilled.
MACROS (per bar):
• Calories: 167 .
• Protein: 11g .
• Carbs: 3g
• Fats: 13g