Delicious healthy banana bread made with whole wheat flour, protein packed greek yogurt and naturally sweetened with pure maple syrup. Made in one bowl, easy to make and can be easily be made into muffins, too!
Ingredients (makes 12 slices)
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/4 cup mashed banana)
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup plain or vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup , melted and cooled coconut oil
- Optional add-ins:
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch pan with parchment paper and grease the inside of the pan to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl mix together the mashed banana, eggs, maple syrup, greek yogurt and vanilla extract to a bowl until well combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Next, mix in the melted and cooled coconut oil. At this point you can fold in an of the following: ½ cup chopped walnuts or ½ cup chocolate chips (or both!).
- Add banana bread batter into prepared pan. Add banana slices on top, side by side. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer is inserted into the middle comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Allow bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
- Once bread is cool, cut into 12 slices. Serve with nut butter spread on top for a healthy snack or breakfast on the go.
Nutrition (per serving size: 1 slice)